Thinking of buying a 1998 Lexus ES 300 with about 100,000 miles on it.

Carib Guy

Problem with parking brake light.? I had the car inspected by an indedependent mechanic and turned up 2 concerns:

1) No documentation that the timing belt was done. Dealer says that previous owner says it was done. I don't trust that and would want to offset the price by the cost of timing belt replacement.

2) Inspector said that parking brake light comes on sometimes while driving. Dealer says not a big deal probably some cable that needs to be tightened or this stuff happens.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

First of all...I would have a mechanic that you absolutely trust, and that you know personally, or your friends/family do...and have him come buy the dealership and give an inspection of the car. I wouldn't let the dealership tell you whats wrong, and what they think should be done. Because face it, they want your money! So just have a trusty mechanic come buy and look at it, and he could tell you the problems, then he could give you an overall price. And if you do buy the car, just have the belt replaced by the mechanic, and not the dealership. Or if you know a good knowledge of Lexus's engines...then buy the belt, and do it yourself to save a lot of money. Oh, and to tell you another thing, the dealership will buy that timing belt FROM the factory if you decided to have them do it. And it would cost you a bundle. Trust me. Just go to Advance Auto Parts, or Auto Zone and get the same belt that's a different brand and it a hell of a lot cheaper. Message me if you have any other questions, on the Lexus, or cars in general. And have your mechanic do a used car inspection too by the way.

Good luck!