Vauxhall Astra 1.7TD (Isuzu) Intermittent Starting Problem?

vj14lal

My car for the past 5 months has developed an intermittent starting problem. It cranks over approz 12 times before starting after the car has rested for a short duration of 20minutes or greater from a hot engine. When the car eventually starts, I notice that a cloud of white smoke indicating excessive fuel.

The engine start better in cold conditions, if the car has rested a longer duration, i.e. 8 hours or more.(still cranks over 3-4 times)

When the car start immediately when the engine is just been switched off and start 10/10 times.

Once running, the car runs superbly!!!

I had the car looked at by nuumber of people but with no answers or ideas, one of them being a diesel specilist, which they said it could only be the Injection Pump (££££). Though they cannot guarantee that it will fix the problem.

So far the following has been checked:

Glow Relay Circuit (Relay)
Glow Plugs
Leak Off Pipe
Tested for air in Fuel System.
Injection ECU Tested
No Fault Codes

Martin G

Rookie
Hi mate this is a common problem on VECTRAS but I think it may be related as the engines are more or less the same.

It is the fuel ( Diesel ) running back to the tank when left standing for any amount of time. try not to park on hills or even a slope . the fuel in the fuel filter runs back to the tank causing an air lock,,,

Vauxhall know of this problem on DIESEL engines and can fix it...

If you do park on a hill point the car down hill this will help.

lawf54

Rookie
cars need regular service. change the dizi cap and plugs. then take it to a garrage and percificaly aks for a timing and C.O test it should cost to much.

lawf54

Rookie
cars need regular service. change the dizi cap and plugs. then take it to a garrage and percificaly aks for a timing and C.O test it should cost to much.