Volkswagen 1yr old - Put water into oil?

Jack N

Yes, I am stupid. I was in a rush and the oil light came on. I immediately pulled over and put about 1litre or just under 1/4 gallon of water in my oil. I have driven about 200km since and have realised it was the oil lamp, not the water lamp that came on. Please help!

Da Man

No, don't put water in with oil, it does nothing. Just go to your Volkswagen dealership, and the service guy can help you out or just read the driver's manual that came with your car.
You're right, the light probably meant change your oil, don't add water, besides your car is only 1 year old, it wont do much harm. On most cars, you can at least go 1000 miles above if you didn't already change your oil if you needed to.
Hope this helped.

justin1jd

Drain the oil as soon as possible... Then refill it with OIL!!! Your motor can lock up running it with water in the oil...

Drain out all of your oil immediately! Place new oil in car along with a recommended cleaner and a new oil filter run car for about 15 min. (mystery oil is my preference) to displace that water. Then change the oil and filter again. You should be OK. If there wasn`t any damage done.