VW Polo - broken timing belt - question....?

hayden.tech

My friend has a 1996 1.6 litre VW polo. The timing belt broke. (Actually the belt is in one piece, but the teeth stripped off) Before I put on a new belt and do a compression test can anyone tell me for certain whether or not the pistons would have hit the valves in this particuar motor. I know that some engines do, some engines don't. So please answer if you know for sure about this particular engine. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

John D

Rookie
Nooooooo you through the new belt on and time it,you'll be fine,you'll need a timing light though from your auto store,cause at this juncter it's gonna have to be timed correctlly,be sure both cam and crank are in line when doing this,turn engine by hand and there are arowws on the harmonic balancer and the cam,it aint that hard,+ buy a Haynes manual for the make yr and model,they're like$20 at the auto store and the book will walk you through the whole prosses step by step,take your time and dont get agravated,cause ya will,then take a break,eat a sandwich watch tv and when you calm down get back to it.