Way to improve fuel economy on a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier?

Karim

hi,
I used to have a 1995 Cavalier, until about 2.5 years ago when I bought this 2004 model.
That Cavalier I had before, was standard, and I was saying I'd say about 650 to ask much as 750km on a full tank of gas. (60L)
The engine is I believe the same. 2.0L 4 Cyl engine. In fact I think now its' also an "ecotec' so is that supposed to be even MORE efficient in the 2004 model.
I get about not more than 500 maybe 550km's on a full tank now.
Not sure why this is happening.
- 58000 km on it.
-Regularly get oil changes -every about 5000 km from GM dealer
-have good tires, all season - original tires I think they should be good until about 75,000 km, still lots of tread. check the air pressure regularly.
-I don't idle my car for long times
- i don't rev my engine too much and 'take it easy' driving, keep rpm around 2 to 3000rpm.
-regularly put in fuel injector cleaner about every 10000 km
- do u think changing fuel filter would help, would i need to do this? anything else ??
also - i have a K and N air filter and had that on the 1995 model also.
Regular K and N, not the big harpoon intake, just the one that goes in the regular compartment.
Thanks everyone for your answers!
Cheers
For the 1995 I had, I believe I had this:
(with a Manual transmission)
1995 Chevrolet Cavalier Performance
2,190 cc 2.2 liters 4 in-line front transverse engine with 89 mm bore, 88 mm stroke, 9 compression ratio, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder
Unleaded fuel
Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 6.4
Multi-point injection fuel system
58 liter fuel tank
Power: SAE and 90 kW , 120 HP @ 5,200 rpm; 130 ft lb , 176 Nm @ 4,000 rpm

For the 2004 Cavalier I have this with a (automatic) transmission:
Info I found on the 2004 Cavalier I have:
The Ecotec 2.2-liter engine offers responsive performance, particularly when paired with the five-speed manual transmission. This newly developed four-cylinder engine generates 140 horsepower at 5600 rpm, enough power for confident passing and merging into busy highway traffic. It's a modern, double overhead-cam engine with four valves per cylinder, the favored arrangement nowadays for good throttle response and power. Much of

Sounds like you are in the mix of wondering. You have not mentioned what kind of transmission you have on each car. But the 95 model will have less smog equipment than your newer 2004 model. Let us all know what transmission you have in each.

Questionable

Are the gas tanks the same size ? These are different cars from 95 to 04' The 04 is a 2.2L engine with much more power, about 140hp compared to 110 or so for the 95'. You need to check your actual mileage. Next time you fill up,write down the vehicle miles or rest your trip odometer. After using that tank note how many gallons it takes to refill. divide the number of miles you went by the gallons to refill. A mid to high twenties number should be good for this car. If lower, have a dealer check it out.