Which eagle is older?

D

delina_m

In terms of it's origin and later use as the national emblem, rooted in history. The American eagle or the Mexican eagle
Dar: Just curious
Please don't read more that I wrote in my question. It's the same as asking who was born first such person or such other that's all. Thank you so much for your answers.

second-sun

Mexican as an organizm (known as the golden eagle)

Mexican as a historical icon (see Tenochtitlan aztec)

Mexican as a national emblem (before 1581)

Chief Whachusa

It was 1782 for the Americans and although somewhat confusing I got around the 1500 for the Spaniards,Mexicans.
That eagle was redesigned over a number of years and became more standard by 1821.
Read yourself for a better explanation.

Big Bull

Hmm, nice question, never thought about that.
I'm no expert, but I'm under the impression that the early settlers of Mexico, (Aztecs), had in fact decided on settling in present day Mexico City when they spotted an eagle eating a snake on a cactus there. This was supposed to be the sign they were searching for while traveling through out Mexico looking for a home.
The American eagle had to be introduced as a symbol by early Americans only AFTER they had settled here. And that's been...what? No more than 500 years since Columbus' landing. That still left about 100 or 200 years to go before it became a nation.
So I think it's safe to say that the Mexican symbol of the eagle supersedes the American use of it by centuries, as the Aztecs settled in ancient Mexico City CENTURIES ago.
I'm not sure though, that's just my quick thinking. Could be wrong.

The Red Angel

The Mexian eagle.

The Mexica people were wandering nomads from Aztlan(some say this is located in the southwest...untill they were inspiered by there gods to walk south untill coming upon a lake where an eagle perched on a catus was devouring a snake.

Sir Armstrong

The Mexican eagle (imperial eagle) is like 300 to 400 years older as a national emblem. The Aztecs used it has one of their emblems before the Spaniards came. American Eagle??? Why America eagle, both are from america aren't they?