why is it that the US government wishes to require all vehicles sold in

ELVI

the US to have an average minimum 35mp by the year 2020? Now that seems like a bit of a stretch of development time, considering JFK anounced that we would land a man on the moon and return him safely back to earth in less than 10 years at a time when the US hadn't even put a man in orbit. Now I'm not an Einstein but it appears to me that the difficulty factor would be a bit higher to develop the technology to land a man on the moon and return him safely to earth in less than 10 years than it would to increase fuel efficiency in automobiles, but for some reason we are giving the auto manufacturers alot more time. Could it be because the oil companies have a VERY strong influence on the American Government? and perhaps someone should look at the politicians' stock portfolios as well. Not making an outrageous accustaion here, I'm just saying.

nasty s

I hear the oil companies buy up any new inventions that could revolutionize transportation away from oil. fact, look it up.

Schmorgen

I would have gone tougher.

It's not hard.
Just say, "all automobiles sold in the US will have a 50+ mpg rating by 2018. Any auto not in compliance will be subject to a 100% tariff."
You would see the true speed at which Detroit can work it out.