will mclaren struggle to compete in 2008?

andrew l

Rookie
the £50m fine is bound to mean financial constraints will hamper the development of the new car and a small garage at the end of the pit lane won't be helpful either for team mclaren. so are mclaren going to struggle to match the ferrari? i hope not and that mclaren can push the red cheaters all the way, otherwise it will be another dull season, cos whilst the rest of the field (honda, williams, renault) can be good on their day, they still do not have the consistency to sustain a challenge over a season. so is the 2008 season over before it's began or will lewis have the car to be able to push kimi all the way to brazil again?

lozzielaws

I recon Lewis will do it. Look at his first year, he was fantastic, for his first year he did incredibly well.

Hes goona be training til the season starts, upping his fitness and skills, I recon he will be formidable next year.

He certainly renewed my interest in F1, the last couple of years with schumacher hogging the limelight got a bit boring. Now theres some fresh determined blood, I think its gonna be a great season.

I dont know how much the team is worth but I would have thought that if they did have any financial restraints, the car is gonna be the last to suffer for it. They have to plough the money into the cars, otherwise its a bit pointless.

I am looking forward to the new season, theyve got the backing of Mercedes, who lets face it arent exactly short of a bob or two, so hopefully fingers crossed ti will be ok. If they didnt have Lewis, i think it would be a different story.

dalejr4ever

I'm sure McLaren will still be as huge contender I doubt that fine is going to hurt at all, and Lewis should still be having a lot of podiums.

wickedfast87gti

Yeah I don't really think that the 50mill is worth batting an eye at for Mercedes McLaren Vodafone. I think it should be an interesting season considering that they have no traction control this year and from what I have heard around is that Ferrari is working on a new gearbox perhaps. I still think the Iceman will take another win. :p

Come on, the red cheaters? What will it take for some F1 fans to admit that the cheaters this year was not Ferrari?

The fine is not insignificant. A $100 million fine is not insignificant even to the richest companies in the world and Mclaren is not the richest company in the world.

I think Mclaren will be competitive and win races in 2008 and I reckon that will be a problem. Many people in F1 believe they lied about the spy scandal. The FIA investigation reported suspicions about certain parts of their new car, parts that may have incorporated stolen ideas. They have offered to freeze development on the three key parts, but they don't have to get rid of these perhaps questionable parts. All teams will also be using Mclaren-Microsoft ECUs. In short, there's a lot of ammunition here.

If Mclaren starts winning, and given what has occurred in the '07 season, I would expect other teams to be skeptical. If Mclaren starts dominating, I think their rivals will start asking serious questions. These days I wonder if Mclaren will get the benefit of any doubt.