AutoTrader.com Fraud Exposed!

AutoXpert

Administrator
As we all know that Autotrader.com is the leading website when it comes to selling cars. Well we at AutoTalk.com gave them a shot to sell our car.

After logging into the website we saw a few options and the best one was "Run 'til It Sells " now for $69.99.

Like most private sellers we saw that and knew that's the one we wanted because we were not sure when our car will sell. To us, run till it sells mean the ad will be there UNTIL our car is SOLD.

Apparently not. We were locating our ad yesterday and couldn't find it. Called Autotrader.com and were informed that even though it is run until it is sold, it expires in one yet.

What kind of run until sold is this? False marketting? you bet. They need to change the name from Run Until It's sold to Run for a year or something to avoid confusing average private seller.

So now our car was NOT sold in a year and we have to cough up another $69.99 if we are to list again.

So here is the question: Have you run into this before with AutoTrader.com? We would love to hear about your views and comments both positive and negative.

Although I don't agree with the phrase "run til it sells" unless that's what it actually means, the terms on the website clearly states the ad is up to one full year so it's not false advertising/marketing. The information listed the same place where you click to purchase the advertising.

Run 'til It Sells
Your ad runs online until you sell your car - up to a full year.

Features
Spotlight Ad
An ad that showcases your car above Standard, Featured or Premium Listings, depending on which listing you've selected. Get twice the page views and sell up to 4 weeks faster. Your ad will rotate on a regular basis with other Spotlight Ads.
CARFAX Report
A report that can help give potential buyers confidence in your vehicle's history. It includes details like number of owners, emissions results, maintenance records and accident history. Your ad will include a prominent CARFAX graphic and link allowing potential buyers to view a free CARFAX report for your vehicle. After reviewing the report, you can also opt not to display it to potential buyers. Your CARFAX Report is available through AutoTrader.com for the length of your ad run.
Premium Listing
Listings that appear first - above Featured and Standard Listings. Premium Listings get twice the page views and typically sell cars up to 3 weeks faster. They're the largest listings with the biggest thumbnail photo and the maximum vehicle details, descriptions and seller information.
Featured Listing
A larger online listing that appears between Standard and Premium Listings. It contains the same type of information as a Premium Listing, but is less comprehensive.
Standard Listing
A standard-size online listing that appears below Featured and Premium Listings. It offers basic vehicle and seller information.
Graphic Tile
A graphic that displays on your ad in shoppers' Search Results and gives them an instant visual cue about your car's assets, like low mileage, one owner, records available or warranty.

Photos
Online Photos
Ads with photos typically get twice as many responses as ads without. Online ads allow you to display multiple photos, which help shoppers see exactly what you're selling, including the vehicle's condition, interior and specialty options. When shoppers click on your photos, they can see an enlarged photo of your car for a better view.
Thumbnail Photo
A small online photo that draws attention to your ad in shoppers' Search Results Listing - shoppers see your car before they select your ad.

*Availability of ad features may vary by location.

I'd like to list my vehicle on Yahoo auto but it redirects me to the auto trader site which keeps locking up my computer. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

sf5868896

Rookie
Yes, I ran into the same problem. I admit I didn't read clearly before I signed. I would not call it a fraud but I agree it the marketing is misleading without reading the fine print.

AutoXpert

Administrator
It appears that they have changed the policy after this. Now it really is run till it sells with a money back guarantee! Glad we brought it up and were able to make a difference

Thank you readers!