My girlfriend has a 1993 mazda miata and every 15 minutes it chimes for 5 sets

huh?

of 5 chimes? It's kind of annoying and i haven't run the codes yet because she has no cel's (check engine lights). apparently it does this on startup (like its supposed to) and every 15 minutes after that it does it too. Any ideas on what it could be has anyone had the same problem before?
no its not the seatbelt chime she is smart and wears its

S

stags_leap1997

It's either the seat belt chime or an open door chime. If your seatbelt is on and the doors are properly shut there is a malfunction in their sensors (which would NOT provoke the check engine light to turn on).

Also, in some cars when one leaves the turn signal on it chimes. I doubt this is your problem, however.

Win S

When you first turn the key on, before starting, ALL the lights should light up momentarily. Check and see if your check engine light is burnt out. It could also be a low-fuel indication, or maybe the trunk lid or a door thinks it's ajar. All these should also be indicator lights, so again do the lamp test and see if any are burnt out. Maybe a seatbelt sensor not making contact (or you're not wearing it)- again, check the lights.
The owners manual should tell you the meaning of any warning chimes and lights that could activate.