1989 Saab 900 Sedan, Audio Receiver Cable Routing?

firemandan900

I have a 1989 Saab 900s four door sedan with a clarion 1 din removable stereo (factory installed) right now. I would like to pick up a new receiver and install kit from crutchfield.com as many of my local shops like Best Buy and circuit city have claimed they can't interface with the wiring while crutchfield says they have a harness that should work for self install. Assuming the harness they provide is correct I should be able to fairly easily install the receiver with all normal functionality.

What I would like to have is Ipod functionality on the new receiver which would require routing a new cable out from the back of the receiver somehow. The receiver is currently sitting in a standard 1 din sleeve which blocks access to behind the dash to see what I could try to do, with the reciver removed. The receiver is at the very top of the dash with ventilation vents between it and the gloovebox and a lot of climate control knobs for sevral feet before any other cubby holes going down.
Here is some more details

Trying to drill straight down from the top of the dash could be possible but is not perfable due to where the cable would come out and not knowing what I might be cutting through. If it would help I could post picture of my dash.

I am trying to figure out how I might be able to rout the cable to perfably the gloovebox but anywhere with out a whole lot of work or possible damage to my car. Is it possible to take out the whole din sleeve easily and then put it back to get more into the back of the dash perhaps? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure if you got this all figured out yet, as its been a couple months. I happen to work on these older Saab models for a living.

I'm probably going to hook my ipod up eventually in the same way. I would most likely run it down into the 2nd slot in the bottom console or into the bigger cubby. It doesn't take too much work to get the black plastic face off that section, and then get the carpeted part out of the way so you can sorta get up into the dash behind the radio.

Getting the dash out of the way to get at anything is a little bit of work. I don't enjoy doing blower motors because of this! :mad:

Anyway, let me know if you're still fighting with this.

Sam