1991 Volvo 240 wagon Crank won't fire in cold.?

wilmcell

I have a volvo 240 that is an otherwise reliable car. If someone could help me with the fix I would be thrilled. Basically it runs great and goes and goes until it gets very cold. It originally wasn't the battery. Although now from trying to start it so much the battery is dead....anyhow when you turn the key on (not start) you can normally hear 2 clicks one for the fuel relay and one for the fuel pump engaging. When it's very cold the relay will click but the pump won't make the whir noise it usually doesn. This leaves me stranded and having to walk my daughter to school daily which is fine but the weather is now 10 degrees and I have a 2 yr old that I have to carry the whole way ( she makes me carry her!) It 's tough. I just changed the relay and that did not help. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I need help. Thanks in advance for any response.

john t

Rookie
sounds to me like you either have a weak fuel pump or water in your gas tank. try a bottle of gas tank deicer if that doesnt work then you'll probably need a new fuel pump.