1992 BUICK SKYLARK Help again!?

Ms G

I have a 1992 Buick Skylark,6 cylinder Automatic, w/Power Steering, APS brakes, apx.90,000+ miles. This summer, my mechanic 'bypassed' the heater core as it was leaking so bad.I now have to Replace it.I don't think it is repairable as the mechanic has tried everthing.How big of a job is this ( Can a 'friend' do it easily?) and about what will it cost? Im Broke and freezing!
Merry Christmas?

Byron B

It's a fairly easy job for the experienced and mechanically inclined person. Unfortunately, it usually involves removal of part of the lower part of the dashboard. The heater core part itself should cost you between $32 and $50 dollars. At www.partsamerica.com, which is Checker, Schucks and Kragen stores, all the heater cores include a lifetime warrantee for that price. I would not recommend reuse of an old one. If you haven't already purchased one, I recommend a Haynes manual for step-by-step instructions.

I replaced the heater core on my 1992 Saturn about 5 years ago and it was inexpensive and relatively easy. I consider myself only slightly mechanically inclinded.