1999 Audi A6 - Changed batteries for my Keyless Entry Remote but still

buying car

does not work.? My keyless entry remote had worked fine since I bought my 99 Audi A6 2.8 liter 3 years ago. All of a sudden, the remote stopped working. I figured that the batteries are out and so I went and replaced them with the same but new batteries.

The keyless entry remote is still as dead as it was with the old batteries.

My question is:

Does any one know if there is anything else I need to reset? Can it be a fuse or something similar? What did you have to do resolve this problem yourself and without going to the dealer :)
Interesting answers. I am in the USA (Chicago). The remote does not work for the doors nor the trunck so it may be something between the remote itself and the receiver. I like the Autozone idea -- perhaps they can help me verify (or not) that the remote itself is transmitting fine ... this way, I can focus on the other pieces ...
Humm, interesting. Actually, I only have one remote and NOT two. And yes, I removed the batteries out in order to replace them.

I bought the case used but have all the manuals. I will look at the User's Manual to see how to re-programming should it have lost it by removing the batteries for just a minute or two.