2003 Oldsmobile Alero problems???

Aaron D

I have a 2003 Oldsmobile alero with 110,000 miles. Had it for a year and never had any problems. Was workin fine yesturday but today and the gages died (fuel, speed, thermo) and service vechile soon, abs, security lights came on. Radio wont turn on as well. The security light on the radio is flashing. Took it to Auto Zone to hook up to computer and it said everything was ok but the guy said that my car had two computers or something and that his computer wouldnt scan the second one. If i shut it off sometimes i have to wait 5 mins or it wont start back up. That scared me a couple of times. I unplugged the battery for 30 mins and then plugged it back up. Everything seemed to back to normal but about 5mins down the road it did the same thing. What is going? Am i going to have to take it to a GM dealer??? I hope not. They are sooo freakin expensive.

superman

ok, the thing that surprised me the most is that u put this in the GMC section. isn't ur car a Oldsmobile

calnickel

Rookie
There is no Oldsmobile section.

Honestly, I would try a new battery. When electrical things start going crazy, chances are it's a bad battery. It's a cheap start (and if your battery is original it might be due for new one anyways).

Also try a dealership. They will have better manuals, diagnostic equipment, and mechanics. They are more money but usually worth it for these types of problems.

ms mystery

I have a 2001 Alero that had something similar a few years ago. I was driving along one day and suddenly my car died. Turns out I ran out of gas and my gauges werent be adequately powered by my ignition switch. Apparently faulty ignition switches are a problem on Alero's, kinda sounds like you are having a similair problem. Good luck!