400cc or 600cc in a dirt bike?

rorym1980

i currently have a slow DR250S & i want loads of power so 600 is the way to go right? but the extra weight has me considering a 400 - 450. im looking at DR's, XR's, that sort of thing, enduro bikes, so would a 450 be as powerful as a 600 because it is lighter in weight? im told 400s corner better too, would a 600 have that much more weight that its only slightly more powerful than a 450 or is the power loss minimal?

friedach

Rookie
do you fit on a 600? Are you heavy enough to wrestle it about, and strong enough to pick it up off the ground? My mate is abt 88KG, too light for an old XT500-because it throws him around like a rag. Size is everything-your size, and what your body can cope with. Quickness and speed are not the same, and conditions determine which is needed for fastest times. If you just want fun, why spend up big? There's no race, and extra power just means you hit the ground harder. The bike doesn't last longer, and it costs more to run. If you go to slow, it may not cool well-with all those probs. Power is nice to have in hand, but wise men don't use it.

sivdog21

The 400cc or the 450cc are plenty of bike...the power to weight ratio is much better than the 600cc, especially in the Enduros...also, if you want to boost the power you can always add some aftermarket items. For example, reed stuffers, new pipe and headers, larger head, smaller drive sprocket, etc...

Tom B

Rookie
The Suzuki DRZ400E is the perfect bike for you
its as light as a feather, quick and fast
the 600-650cc dirt bikes are torquey, but geared high, slow, but powerful, but are too heavy and hard to handle