ABS problems on the new corsas? I have a new 2007 vauxhall corsa. I was

pepe..1

driving in snow yesterday and when I? braked, the ABS came on as expected, but I seemed to loose pressure on the brake, the pedal felt solid, almost like the servo had failed. As a result I could not stop the car using the brake and almost had an accident. Vauxhall say there`s nothing wrong with the brakes and this is normal! Has anyone else encountered these problems?
I was doing about 10 miles an hour!!

TallPaul

Rookie
ABS just stops the wheels from locking up meaning you can still steer while braking. It won't make you stop quicker, especially on snow!

Knownow't

Rookie
The ABS very rapidly applying and releasing the brakes, so the brake pedal will feel different as at times it is being applied...this is normal its called cadance braking.

Cory G

snow got caught in brakes, if dont fix fast enough the brakes will rust to the caLIPER AND IT WILL BE A VERY EXPENSIVE REPAIR.

cosmo

sounds quite normal for ABS on snow. Try going down hill on ice !! You`ll think your never going to stop, but you will....eventually!!. But without ABS you`ll just skid into whatever`s in the way !

If you just held the brake pedal down, without pumping it, you should have heard the ABS brake servos working and possibly felt the drumming sensation through the brake pedal. If there was a malfunction the ABS light would come on steady and not turn off to warn you to get the system scanned for codes and repairs. There is an outside chance you may have had the throttle open and the RPMs up a bit which would have caused a lack of vacuum at the power brake booster resulting in a hard pedal. I'd find an empty parking lot and do a few "panic stops" just to see if it happens again. This will also give you a little experience with stopping with the ABS system working and an idea as to stopping distances on ice or snow.