Big problems - is this my fuel pump?

jufran

Rookie
I have a 2000 GAGT with about 64000 miles. My car died on me about a week ago (and many times since) - I don't know what is wrong... I've searched and searched, but cannot find anything similar.
I had between 1/16th and 1/8th of a tank of gas left when it first happened, so I thought my fuel gauge might have been fouled... I put about 2 gallons in, but it still wouldn't start (it does turn over though). I thought maybe I had water in my gas tank, cause I found my gas cap almost off when I put those 2 Gal's in, so I put some gas antifreeze in the tank... didn't help...
Since then, my GA will start up fine, accelerate initally with no problems (usually), but after driving about 10 minutes or at higher speeds (like over 50 or in overdrive), it wants to die. It normally happens when I'm putting a load on it, like going up a hill or carrying a passenger... The problem occurs when I'm driving, as it starts chugging on me, like losing power, coming back, losing power, coming back, and slowly losing power till its dead. I'm still rolling during the entire process. I have to wait like between 10 and 30 minutes b4 it will start again... I'm cranking it over like once a minute - I'm from Ohio, it's freakin cold, snowin, and blowin...
A way I just found to prevent this "breakdown" is to carefully spike the brakes right when it initially starts chugging. Then, I can go for about another 10 minutes or so...
I just replaced the fuel filter after it happened, and removed my K&N and put in my original (basically new) air filter. I was supposed to take it to my friend (who's a mechanic) to test the fuel pressure and other stuff, but he postponed until Tuesday.
Do I have a bad fuel pump? Could I just still have water in my tank/lines? The temp hasn't been over 30 degrees for about 2 months now... Any feedback would truly be appreciated!

Paul79UF

Rookie
Has the fuel filter been replaced in the past according to the service schedule? Maybe one of the fuel lines is clogged.

For the future, make sure you don't get gas from stations that have a fuel tanker in the parking lot filling the underground tanks. They stir up all the crap at the bottom of the tanks.

darsh11

Rookie
fuel pumps may be one of the factors but i would say that your car needs a service may be the filters are not of good quality