BMW X5 3.0i 2001 WHEEL AND TIRE QUESTION?

Bato B

Rookie
I wanna upgrade my manufacture wheels to 20''(front-9.5,rear-10.5) wheels will it be OK?Coz I've heard that if it's 4wheel drive then something terrible could happen to my car.I also want to put tires:275/40/20 to front and 315/35/20 to rear.Will it work?Thanks in advance!
p.s.Please do not suggest me to call to BMW dealership,coz I allready did and those douches don't know anything!!!

Rachael B

hiya - the hubby is a BMW service advisor, so I asked him. He said some X5's come with 20" wheels, so as long as they are the right size and offset for the car, then they will be fine. Hope this helps! ;)

to add to this: the overall diameter needs to be as close to the original as possible, meaning you will need very low profile tires. so if your diameters are different, it will possibly throw off your speedometer(no big deal, as BMW speedometers are not 100% accurate - check it with a GPS, as BMW allows a 10% variance either way). no harm will come to the transer case unless all 4 tires are of different diameters.

JRome3

Depends what you mean by will it work....the car will probably run fine but it will throw off your speedometer and differential. Beemers are not meant to be messed with like that. They are very temper-mental and don't respond well to any modifications.
If you want to pimp out a ride do it to a Chevy. Besides it's almost sacraligious to do that to a Beemer or Benz.