Can I uninsure a vehicle that is unoperable?

B

butterfly_sugha

My '03 Hyundai Elantra needs a new engine and radiator, and we are trying to sell the car. We just bought a new vehicle as the replacement, and want to sell the other one (since we no longer can drive it). In Texas, do you have to have the car insured, even if it is unoperable? We have to sell it fast, or we will end up donating it to charity...
Any websites or "laws" that indicate what is or is not "legal" would be great!
(The car is paid off, 100%, and it has little damage, it just needs to have a replacement engine and radiator, but i am so tired of the car; plus, our family is growing, and we need more space!)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Mark G

You will need to notify the department of motor vehicles and cancel the plates and registration. If you don't you could be fined for having an un insured vehicle. after that you can cancel the insurance

Ppfooie

Definitely call your insurance agent.

In Arizona, one of my sisters had her nonworking car with expired tags (no registration if no insurance, so it wasn't insured either) parked on the street in front of the house. Well, the authorities gave her a ticket for expired tags- which they then told her she wouldn't have gotten if the car had been parked in her driveway, instead.

So, even inoperable, there are tiny details to make sure of - like where the car is being stored.

cdever5

Rookie
It is not required to have insurance on a vehicle that is not being operated. Some states has laws that require you to carry insurance for liability (if you hit someone) but not required for your own car.

progunr

It sounds like the car is worth little to nothing, cancel the insurance. The only way you need it is if you are driving the car.
How are you going to get pulled over, and asked for proof of insurance if the thing don't run?