Dirt Bike 1985 Yamaha YZ 250?

Carlos C

Rookie
Is a 1985 Yamaha YZ 250 a good deal for $700? The bike is in good mechanical conditions. The body needs paint, tires are good. Engine, transmission, brakes, gears work good. I want to buy it but would like some feed back on the price. Good, fair, or to high for such an old bike. Was 1985 a good year for the bike? Any opinions are welcome. Thanks

I have an '85 YZ that I bought when it was only a few years old. I have never had to do any enging work until 2004 after a piston seizing. This is a very dependable bike and a blast to ride. It has a constant power band and a very good low end power for a YZ. I also have a '94 WR250 same engine but it is very strong on the mid range and will come on without warning if you aren't paying attention. The '85 is virtually trouble free with plenty of power to climb the steep hills and mild enough to handle the tight spots. If you want a good bike for the money $700 is a very fair price if it has been well cared for.

Yamaha YZ 250 is a good deal for 700 bucks as you are saying that bike only need to be painted ....but in future you might find it difficult to find its part as its a 20 years old bike not at all easy to find it parts ...if you are a bike enthusiast and can maintain you bike they go for it dude...