Harley Davidson XL883 sportster? manly bike?

Jesse A

just wondering if the bike is manly enough for a guy? first time buyer, new rider. my aunt said if i ride it people will think i'm gay... is that true?

F

forktail_devil

power to weight ratio of either sportster (883 or 1200) is excellent when u consider: the engine is air-cooled, and the frame isnt made of aluminum.
its small size and light weight gives it excellent manuverability. alot better than the heavier road kings and glides. if u happen to drop it at a light, it wont break ur balls trying to lift it up again.
sportsters are also bikes that hardcore customizer's pick. sportster's started life as hd's dirt racing and cafe racing bikes, and yanno, the sportsters of old would kick a factory stock sportster's azz.
sportsters can be turned into a very potent little hot rod with just a bit of work that will smoke a big twin with ease.
those that call it a girls' bike....tell em to phuck off or buy ya a road king.

JetDoc

Rookie
Most RUBs would consider a 883 Sportster to be a ladies bike, but what do they really know? They are the same posers that go out and pay $30K for a factory customized Harley, so they can ride it from bar to bar on Saturday afternoons, and brag about how their motorcycle has never been ridden in the rain!

If you want to ride a Sportster, then Go For It, but if you want to join the weekend barhopping crowd, be prepared to be harassed for riding a girl's bike.

AROUND

Are you trying to ride a bike to look manly, Or to have fun, If your trying to look manly, You should start by not giving funk about who thinks what, And do what you love.....

GrayBeard

Rookie
As a first time rider, perhaps you'd like to switch from the 883 to the 1200N. It's a larger engine and it is a Sportster, but it looks mean and has a very low center of gravity, which makes the bike "feel" very light. I'm 58 and just bought one last month. My first bike. I absolutely love it.