How did you learn to drive a standard car? Do you have any tips?

Lauren S

I have a '99 cavilier and It's a standard tans. The clutch is pretty much new, but I still have trouble picking it up...it's winter now, and there's ice on the ground...what should I do?
The clutch is almost new (barely used) and the car is used as well, '99 Cavilier. The roads are icy, and I still need to practice drive it and get the hang of it...do you have any tips or precautions for me?

ryan m

Rookie
Make sure you are in a safe location before trying to learn a stick.

Here is a great tip.

hold down the brake and the clutch.

remove foot from brake.

Very very slowly let out the clutch. VERY SLOWLY

When the car begins to move, apply gentle pressure to the gas pedal. Slowly let the clutch all the way out.

virtualangel

I was taught in the UK, everyone there drives a standard. Once you get it, it's easy, so you need to find somewhere quiet with room to practice. Don't think too much. It's like going up or down the stairs, if you think too much you'll trip yourself up.

The saying is"balancing the clutch", balancing the gas and clutch is a kind off see-saw with your left and right foot. Make sure the handbrake is down. Put your left foot down on the clutch (right foot on the brake) put the shifter into first. As stated already, take foot off brake and put a little pressure on the gas pedal and slowly lift up the clutch . If you stall it's because you didn't give it enough gas. The clutch "bites" about halfway up and at that point you are engaged with the engine.

First gear is for starting, move into 2nd at around 10 -20mph roughly (the engine tells you when it's the right time, you don't want to hear too high a pitch). Another good tip, roughly 2000rpm's a good point to shift up. Third gear is a great gear, great control in general. You'll be in third gear at around 20-30mph. Again, listen to the tone of the engine. Fourth and fifth is for speed, the latter for cruising. You don't want to be in fifth going around tight corners, shift down.

When the clutch is down you are not engaged with the engine, i.e not in full control, so don't keep your foot down on the clutch too long.

For winter when coming up to a bend, don't break on the bend, it's safer to break before the bend and shift down a gear for control. Braking on a bend promotes a slide.

Hill starts are fun! I was taught to use my handbrake to do this. Once you get the clutch engaged and feel the car want to go forward, take off the handbrake and you'll go forward not roll back! Good luck!

In terms of driving in icy conditions, once you get the hang of it you are actually safer with a standard clutch because it gives you greater control of the vehicle. You need to take the same precautions when driving a standard as with other cars. Keep your speed down, don't jam on the brakes, use gentle pressure. If you are on snow or icy roads you will have better control with a lower gear, it will help to prevent your wheels spinning. When going down hills, again use a lower gear.

If you don't feel confident enough about it you really should find an instructor. Again, good luck.

D

David's Mom!

Listen to the engine. It will tell you when to shift. Be gentle and careful to let the clutch out and press the gas at the same time, you don't need much gas. Once you find the rhythm, it will become easier and easier. Make sure you keep the RPMs under 3500. Cavalier's have a pretty easy clutch/shift pattern. Easy to learn, and pretty smooth. Good luck.

peace ? happiness

Phurface

Easiest way is to get in it and drive alone, preferably on a road with little or no traffic. Starting from a stop on a hill is the most difficult, but with practice you'll become profficient in no time. Even now, with years of experience, I have trouble starting off a hill. It just happens sometimes.

calnickel

Rookie
The trick is to see how slowly you can let up the clutch when starting. You can get just about any car going without touching the gas pedal if you are slow enough. This isn't the best way to drive normally but it develops those fine motor skills (pun intended) in your feet. Once you master this everything else is easy.

It's a 'feel' thing and it will get better with practice.

Ice actually can make it easier since the engine won't be as easy to stall if you let up the clutch too quickly but it is probably best to save