How much should the Volvo cost?

ev1go

Rookie
1981 Volvo 240 Stick shift. Power windows and door locks. Cloth interior. Moon roof. Everything works but the moon roof doesn't open right now, needs grease. It drives well and makes no funny noises. 270,000 miles on the clock. The used car lot wanted $2,900 but I talked them down to $1,800. My friends say it's still too high a price. What do you guys think?

Something Witty

go to kelly blue book...and of course you should know any car with that many miles on it is trash..anything after 175000..is too much...but since its so old....i dunno.. you should think at the most they should have 14000 a year...anything more its run into the ground..

Ian F

Rookie
WTF, that's WAY too much for that car. That's US dollars?

Don't take their word for it that it "needs grease." If it was that easy, they probably would have fixed it themselves...it would more than pay for itself.

The only way it's worth that is if it's one of the high-end coupes (but IIRC, those were 260s).

EVERYTHING on that car had better look 10 years newer than it is for that price.

thom t

Sounds too high to me(In Australia I would think about $1000.) Where are you?
But you always pay more from a dealer than from an auction. Are you getting a warranty?
You can't just go by miles...have a compression check to see if the engine is worn.
Something Witty: 14,000 x 25 years is 350,000 so 270,000 is not necessarily too much.