I didn't winterize my 2000 Volvo Penta 6cyl. engine. What's the...

ToeKnee

...possibility that the block will crack. I live in Minnesota and the temp has already gone to 6 and 7 degrees! The boat hasn't been in the water since August. I'm having the lower unit winterized on Monday. How can I tell if the block is cracked and should I still try to have it winterized?

Winnie

water in the manifolds may be a problem. every engine of marine make have drains to remove the water . your taking a good chance of a frozen system including your hoses. oh well its just money.

Winnie

water in the manifolds may be a problem. every engine of marine make have drains to remove the water . your taking a good chance of a frozen system including your hoses. oh well its just money.

mark t

Rookie
There is a very good chance you have or will suffer damage to the block and other parts or the cooling system. Get it thawed out asap and then have it pressure tested. Oil coolers, gear coolers, manifolds water pumps and hoses not to mention the block could all have damage. How about any other systems on the boat that have water in them and the batteries?

80's kid

The only time you have to worry about your lower unit is if water got into the drive shaft. Every time I drain my lower unit oil, it come out very clean with not water at all. This means there's no way freezing temps could hurt it, its just oil inside like there should be (but I change it anyway to winterize it).
You engine block is a whole nother story! If it has a raw water pickup like most do, then it DEFINITELY has water in it, and must be drained and/or flushed with antifreeze.
Freeze plugs do not always do what the're supposed to do. Sometimes the block cracks regardless of the plugs.
Good luck, it may already be cracked!

Thomas G

your block shouldn't crack but the lower unit could be in trouble. freeze plugs should take care of block.we hope!