I have a 1996 Honda Civic Hatchback and i plan on driving 6 hours away to the UP

Tammi D

you should have some idea of how many miles per gallon you get and also the capacity of your gas tank.

if we assume 35 mpg highway and 13 gal tank
and roughly 60 mph * 6 hr = 360 mile trip (one way)

then we can calculate

360 miles / (35 mpg * 13 gal) = 0.79

so you should be able to just fill up before you leave, and then fill up again for the return trip. but you'll probably stop somewhere (restroom, food), so it might be convenient to fill up during one of those stops. and it's more of a safety precaution if you fill up maybe halfway, because you never know what adverse conditions (bad weather, accidents, etc.) you might encounter that could necessitate burning more gas.

Samy

in MI Do you think my car.... will make it? and if so how many times do you think i will need to fill up?
my car is in decent shape it really is.
the only thing im worred aobut is driving in the snow. like it doesnt have anti lock breaks but it has brand new tires.... should i be okay?

kubay1999

If you start off with a full tank of gas you should be able to make it there only stopping to fill up once. Do u have any car problems now? Only u know if your car will make it.

jessica4476

i wouldn't do it. it's snowing quite a bit. maybe if you have really good tires. i mean, it's a honda so it'll probably make it. you'll probably have to fill up like two or three times.

2eighty8

Yeah, you should be alright, but it all depends on the engine. How many miles or kilometres are you driving in total?

I drove from Toronto to Ottawa a month ago in my '96 Civic LX (40 litre tank, if you're curious) with my 350-pound friend and we topped up less than half the tank at the halfway point just to be safe. It was a five hour drive going there with a couple of breaks inbetween. Again, it all depends on the engine. For some reason, half a tank can take me 300kms, but the last half can take me over 100kms on the highway (it's brutal on city streets). But then again, I'm a fuel efficient freak so I'm constantly maintaining the engine so that'll give me a bit more kilometres.