I hit a car. The driver sent me estimates. Should I pay her or get my insurance to?

Gilligan

I wanted to keep the insurance company out of it because I thought it would be less expensive than it is (a dent on the door), but the estimate she got from two reputable shops are at or more than the car would sell for. The estimates are $1200-1400. The car is a 97 Cavalier, base model coupe, which would sell for about the same amount. My insurance company would handle it, but I had an accident almost 3 years ago and I was hoping to get my record clear to qualify for a lower rate.

CwboyBill

Always let your company handle these things. Do you honestly think your rates will go up by $1,400 for a claim? Get serious.... If you pay out of pocket this can spiral out of control so fast you won't know what hit you.

Just Me

Rookie
Let the insurance handle it. Those estimates sound faulty. Sometimes people try to milk you and have the mechanics in on it. Using insurance will ensure that is not done. You pay for insurance so use it!

Helper

Rookie
For that kind of money let the insurance pay for it.

Even if your rate goes up it won't go anywhere near that much. You are suppose to pay for stuff that only about $100 or less. Maybe $200 if you have accidents every month.

Good Luck.

P.S. Insurance loves to propagate the fear of your rate going up.

S

stef_leppard

file a claim with your insurance company. they are much better equipped to deal with these things than you would be on your own. that's why you have insurance. if the estimates are too high, then your insurance company will know what to do. perhaps the driver you hit is trying to take advantage of you. let the insurance company deal with it.