I need some advice on fixing a Honda TRX125 ATV.?

4wheels

I have a 1985 Honda TRX125 that runs but the transmission is locked up. So far I have taken the clutch off and found that the main drive gear does not move and appears to be frozen. Anyone have an idea what is broken? Where should I start looking? Thanks.

Jeremy P

the problem is more than likely and internal transmission problem and the only way to fix that is to split the case. now if u have never worked on a motorcycle that far then i would either suggest to read read read read all u can about how the trans goes together because if u do not put a washer that is maybe paper thing back where it goes that cause cause major problems. other idea is to take it to a mechanic that u knows what they are doing. i have done it before its not so much a difficult thing more so than so many parts. good luck

Grizz

Rookie
could be a host of things. the only way to tell is to tear the engine down and check for problems. the engine and transmission are housed together. if you have never done this, get yourself a haynes or a clymer repair book for it. good source on tearing it down and putting it back together. and as long as you are looking at the tranny it would be a good time to go through the engine.

maxjlone

That's good information. You can try a heat gun to soften the varnish bond. First eliminate the potential for flashover and fire. If all of the above fails, consider having a local tech or machine shop inspect the problem. It's also possible that the throttle side is corroded or seized.