I need to know something about car insurance......?

Ethel S

I am picking up my new car today and my young toy boy Edward...26 wants to drive it too. I havent added him as a second driver to my insurance policy as i find it puts the price up. He says he can still drive my car as he is insured as fully comp and can drive it 3rd party. My argument is that if he does crash my car then there wouldnt be much cover and i would probably be without a car. Does anyone know the in's and out's of people driving other peoples cars if they are not a named driver and how much cover they would have. We had a terrible barney about this today and he left in a huff saying i dont share. :(

TallPaul

Rookie
Tell him if he wants to drive you car you want proof of his fully comprehensive insurance. He is right that he can drive it (3rd party insurance only) which is no good at all to you if he runs into someone else and trashes your car.

cunny

You are right - he is covered for compulsory 3rd party only when driving other cars on his insurance- but only if it says so on his policy - you need to check - some exclude this particularly on younger drivers. You will not get any money if he damages your car so will have to pay all the repair costs yourself. Don't let him drive it as you will have an even bigger barney when he crashes it and you have lost an expensive car!!

MarkEverest

IF, and only if, his insurance indemnifies him to drive someone else's car, then it would be on a third party only basis. This means that if he wrecked your car, then you would lose it. His insurance company would only pay for damage or injury caused to others or their property.

Why don't you suggest adding him as a driver to your policy provided he pays the increase on your premium and the increase needed to protect your no claims discount?

Colin M

Rookie
This is a subject often misunderstood, with reason in some cases. If your man (and you) reads his insurance policy carefully, I think you'll find it may or may NOT permit him to drive other peoples cars, with their permision and assuming they're already insured.

It is by no means certain that this is the case these days, contrary to urban myth, and if it is permitted you'll probably find that it states "in an emergency only". In any case, it would only be with third party cover, which would not cover any damage to your car.

The insurance companies have recently woken up to little Johnny with his fully-comp Corsa driving dad's Ferrari!

Valmiki

Your "argument" is correct.

If you choose to deviate from what you know is right, then it really will end in tears.

allen555

Rookie
Yep. If he is not a named driver and is driving your car on his insurance, he only has third party cover. The 1st party is the insurance company. The 2nd party is the driver with whom he collides and the third party is him.

If he crashed your car, his insurance would pay compensation for anyone he killed or injured, and part of the cost of damage to other people's property. You would get zilch for any damage done to your car.

You can either pay up and add him as a named driver - if you think he's worth it. Otherwise, trade him in for a model that's cheaper to insure.