Is it possible to import a VW Polo into the United States?

toeny78

I am looking to import the Polo because they have a diesel model that gets 70+ mpg. I talked to an importer who told me that the NHTSA has a list of cars you can import and that you would need $15 million to properly test the Polo and bring it in. This just doesn't sound right and they guy is a Smart Car dealer, so he might have been trying to steer me in that direction. Anyway, I really just want the great fuel economy and the ability to use biodiesel....anyone know how I can do this?

dave

Rookie
there are so many requirements made by the NHTSA, that building a new car--or importing one that isn't usually sold in the US probably would be rather expensive. new car models from small builders (think supercars) often don't make it to the US because it isn't cost effective for the manufacturer to do so. i'm pretty sure the NHTSA requires a minimum of ten units for destructive testing. i'm not sure how much of this holds true for a make like VW--but i'd bet that the Polo hasn't been tested for all the US safety requirements...so that obligation might fall on you if you wanted to bring one over.

email Volkswagen Audi Group or Volkswagen Of America, see if they can help you out....or just buy a Smart, or an old Honda CRX HF (60-ish mpg's).

and...you know you can get biodiesel "kits" for many diesel cars right? check the link...http://www.greasecar.com/