Is the Hyundai Elantra Safe? I don't want to lose another Love....?

Mocha

My sister decided on getting a Hyundai Elantra over the Nissan Sentra because of the price. They both do look pretty similar. But I want to know if that was a good choice if it depended on safety. A loved family member of mine died in a car crash a long time ago so I don't want to lose another family member if a car crash was to occur (knock on wood). If getting a Nissan would have been better please tell me why. Thank you!

a nissan is 10 times more reliable and will last you longer then a crappy hyundai, hyundais have horrible resale value and are pretty much cheap cars.. in my opinion id rather get a nissan over a hyundai anyday.. the nissan is jsut as safe as the hyundai. id even rather buy a horse then a hyundai!

cjgt2

I have a 01' Elantra and I was in a pretty bad accident with a pickup truck. The car's front quarter was hit on the side at 40 mpg. I, along with my girlfriend, walked away. That was over 5 yrs and over 100,000 miles ago and I still drive the car everyday. Of couse there was alot of damage but my insurance saw it was good enough to save and I'm glad they did.
As far as the "crappy hyundai" stuff, people who say that don't know sh!# about cars.
The new Elantra is safer then my 01' and to me that says alot. This is from the HyundaiUSA web site:

Standard ABS with EBD

- Standard ABS helps maintain vehicle steering control while braking under slippery road conditions (e.g. ice, snow, rain) and emergency braking situations under any road conditions
- 4-sensor, 4-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) allow brake force applied independently to each wheel
- Includes Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)which balances braking forces at each wheel when the car is dynamically loaded
- All 2008 Elantra models feature 4-wheel disc brakes

Electronic Stability Control

- According to National Highway Transportation Safety Administration studies, vehicles with ESC experience 35% single vehicle accidents and 30% fewer single vehicle fatalities.
- The Elantra SE is equipped with ESC as a standard feature.

Traction Control System

- Hyundai´s Traction Control System (TCS) helps maintain traction during accelerating. If a wheel begins to slip, it can reduce engine power and/or apply the brakes to that wheel, effectively rerouting power to the wheel with greater traction.
- The Elantra SE is equipped with Traction Control System standard, one of many standard safety features offered by Hyundai.

Six standard air bags

- 2 advanced front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS)
- 2 front seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- 2 side curtain airbags for front and outboard rear passengers
- According to research by the Insurance Institute For Highway Safety, the combination of frontal and side impact airbags can reduce fatalities by up to 45%. *

Structural integrity

- Passive safety features help protect passengers in an impact from any direction
- Front and rear crumple zones
- Bodyside reinforcements
- Hood-buckling creases
- Energy-absorbing steering column
- Side-impact door beams

Occupant restraint features

- Front seat active head restraints provide extra protection against whiplash in rear-end collisions
- Child Seat LATCH System (2 positions, plus an additional center tether anchor)
- 3-Point seatbelts for all seating positions
- Front seatbelt pretensioners
- Adjustable head restraints for all seating positions
- Shingle-style low-profile rear seat head restraints for improved visibility

Seatbelt Pretensioners

- Front seatbelt pretensioners tighten the shoulder belts during a frontal impact. This helps reduce forward movement of the driver and front passenger, while positioning them for optimal effectiveness of the airbags.

Believe me she's in a good car. It's as safe as any small car on the road.