Knocking noise from rear of Jeep?

Steve N

Hi, I have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I just started getting a knocking sound coming from the rear somewhere. It seems to be directly related to the wheel rotation but seems to happen the most when i let off the gas. When you're giving it gas you hear it a bit when turning right but as soon as you let off and coast, it really starts knocking. Could it be a U-joint?

jettech

From the sound of things, you've got a wheel bearing going. You'd feel a U-joint going, (it'll shake the whole truck like a washing machine on spin cycle.)

Easiest check;
Pop the rear end up on jack stands and chock the front wheels. With the transmission in neutral, get under the Jeep and manually turn the drive shaft-both wheels should turn evenly.

If one turns and the other one doesn't, or doesn't turn as much, you're getting closer to your culprit. This is the time to take the rear wheels off, (wait until you get this far because you need them to see if there's a problem.)

Once you've got the wheels off, remove the brake drums, (they should slide right off the lug studs,) and make sure that nothing's loose inside one of your drums, also an excellent time to check your brakeshoes.

Grab the axle shaft, and if you feel it moving up and down or side to side, you have bearing problem. The solution is installing a repair bearing.

From that point, reinstalling the wheels and nursing it to a shop that can do the same thing in about a day, for about $200 beats renting a car and making trips back and forth to the parts store for the 2-3 days it can take someone to make that repair themselves.

is it like a small banging noise? it sounds like your rear differential needs bushings. if you could record the noise it would be great help.