My Jeep has been sucking down gas like it's water, ugh!?

sonipez2003

I've taken it to a couple of mechanics and each one said the fluids were fine, belts were nice and tight, exhaust was fine. A mechanic last night hooked it up to a fuel pressure monitor/gauge and found the pressure to be at 48. Normal for a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 6 cylinders is 49 (+ or - 5) so it's within normal ranges. He didn't think it was the fuel pump. What else could it be? During the summer I filled up every 6 days or so, I've had to fill up twice this week. I'm so irritated...any ideas what the issue could be?

Mr. Snapem

Do you have a lead foot? It could be the way you drive. Jackrabbit takeoffs and sudden stops all burn extra fuel. Air conditioners, defoggers, etc. All cost extra fuel. Try practicing better driving techniques, there are plenty of references to look-up on fuel savings and driving tips. The only other thing I can think of is buy a bottle of Gum-Out Fuel System Cleaner or STP Fuel System Cleaner and put into your nearly empty gas tank before you fill up. In other words, put it in at the gas station, before filling up. That should help clean out carbon deposits in your engine and fuel system that can be robbing your Jeep of fuel economy. Good luck.