Old BMW or New car?

wglespaul

BMW Car advice please?
I'm looking to purchase a car; circa £9-£10k, and have seen a lovely 1999 BMW 318i cabriolet with 40k miles!
Im concerned though at the age of the car - people keep telling me BMWs rarely have things go wrong, and one with low mileage despite its age is a good deal! Does anyone know of any major/costly problems that happen frequently with these cars? As the alternative is to buy a 'sensible' one year old car which is obviously not as much fun!!!

eliasmanzi

It depends what is important to you, because the BMW is going to be a lot nicer car not to mention 1000 times safer. I would look at Audi as well, because they are typically not as expensive as BMW's. However I'm not sure if that is the case in Great Britain, but my dad bought a 2003 Audi A4 3.0 a year and a half ago and he has fallen in love with it. We also bought a Honda Civic a year ago and it was the same price, but it doesn't even begin to compare with the Audi on any level. However if you want a super-dependable car that doesn't look as cool, drive as well and less safe, look at a Renault....

h1ten

yeah bmws are great, in your price range also look out for coupes as well bceause you will get a better deal, just saying because here in UK your not going to have the roof of much. So you might be better of buying a hard top that is newer/ better engine, look out for the 318ci however if you do not mind getting a bigger engine the 328ci is also good. BMWs hardy go wrong one common faults are the aribag light coming on however if you service it regulary and keep it well maintined then it should run forever. Also i know you want something more sporty looking but have a look at the 330d i know it is a diesel and has 4 doors but really really shifts you will not believe it take test drives in all.

curios

well if you deal in drugs in a small time way then the BMW is a must. Every councill estate has them, don't forget some really loud stereo gear, and a chubby blonde with stretch marks for the complete look.

If this does not apply then, i'd still go for the beemer

Adidas

if i were you, i would go for new. brand new is always an advantage. although you don't spend much and get the style, you at least have the trust that it is new and nothing's gonna happen to it.

caralho

i would buy the bmw..
spend some money to get it fully checked.....if it has no major problems....dont think twice.....GET IT