Pathfinder or Infiniti?

Lance D

OK! I just left CarMax! I have an 05 Pathfinder with 72,000 miles and still owe $16,000. CarMax is going to give me $11,000 for my car. Do I trade and take the $400.00 car payment. I currently pay $472.00 a month. I do not know what to do! If I take the car it is an 03 infiniti with 98,000 miles and the cost is $15,000. It really doesnt sound like a deal but the lower my payments the better. I cannot afford the car that I have now so I need to make a decision quick! BUT WHAT?

This is what I use to decide what...

How much for the car as far monthly payments, add fuel consumption, insurance and maintenance. That will give you the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) for the year or month. That will give you a good way to fit your budget. See how much you can spend from your wallet on a car. Like allocating $500 a month, that is payments, insurance, maintenance and fuel. It sounds a lot but is not much with today's cars. You will be surprised how much money is wasted on vanity and the biggest spenders of money are cars, does not matter what brand is it. In a move like that, you might end up shifting the savings from the car payment in paying more for insurance. Consider that also, the bottom line is, you might be paying for a vehicle as much as before and be deeper in the hole.

Seems now days, cars owns the owners not the other way around. For me, no car owns me, so I drive some that is within my price range and still have money left to travel too and enjoy life.

Now, do not go crazy because is an Infiniti, or Lexsucks or Acura or anything like that. What good is, to have an expensive car that you can barely make the payments and no money left to enjoy yourself, family and even repair it. Try considering another model and perhaps you will be happier in life. No the car of your dreams but you can afford now a nice dinner downtown or that nifty entertainment system. Is all about economics. Consider other models too. I have experienced domestic cars and I can say they came a long way since their mediocrity back in the late 70s and mid to late 80s. If you want to stay with Nissan consider the other vehicles from Nissan and forget the Infiniti. Perhaps you could walk away with a newer under warranty Nissan than an used up Infiniti. Sometimes we all eat crow one time on our lives for getting ourselves out of a hole.