Two questions, how do you turbo charge a car? what can i do to a automatic

Brian T

1998 Mitsubishi Spider? The spider looks good I just want it to have a lot more HP. Got any good ideas?

L

lord_gerrard

well 2 of these guys make good points and you CAN turbo an Auto but your only problem (besides normal problems turboing a car) is going to be that trnasmission,most autos arent made to handle a whole lot of extra power depending on how good it is you can prob only hold another 100 HP on it maybe a lil more so if you want to up performance your going to want a manual.

caffeinetripp

Well, besides those two ridiculous people...
There are two ways to turbocharge your engine. The first being you can do a complete engine swap with a turbocharged engine. You will have everything that you need right there. The second would be building your engine to handle boost. This can be quite expensive.
The original 4G63 engine (which is what I'm guessing your car has, though it could be the 420A Chrysler engine), is capable of handling some boost on the T25/14B turbocharger. 7-9 pounds of boost. Though not much, it is enough to get you around town a little faster.
Here are some things that you'll need if you're going to end up boosting your original engine and assuming that you'll be setting it up for a stock turbocharger:
Oil lines; turbo manifold; boost gauge, turbocharger, side mount intercooler, intercooler piping, hard air intake, 4G63T throttle body, intake manifold, downpipe, blow off valve, possible ECU (though doubtful).
This is just a small amount, I couldn't remember everything.
If you're looking to put a larger turbocharger onto your car, you'll also need to get:
Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump, new injectors, fuel regulator, A'Pexi A/FC, Air/Fuel meter, DSMLink, pistons, rods, ARP main studs, new main bearings, rod bearings, water pump (for safety), change timing belt, upgraded turbocharger (big 20G, T3/T4), front mount intercooler, and so on.