vauxhall cavalier?

A

azil_jesani

i have just bought a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.8 K reg and noticed while i was driving back on the motorway at 70-80mph the car wasnt doing that speed, it felt like it wasonly doin 60-70mph instead, i have been told by the seller the speedo is slighty out by about 7-10mph, can this happen in a car and how can i get it fixed and at what cost?

Roy S

I had a Company Cavalier which had the same fault! I was doing 80ish and cars were going past me in bulk. I borrowed a stopwatch (!) and timed it at 60 mph along a quiet stretch of motorway at about 47mph! I had to take it back to the dealers three times before they would believe me and fitted the right speedo head and drive off the gearbox!
Check the part numbers - or get them to do so -for those two components.
RoyS

I

i_martindale

Yes you are right! car speedos register about ten% above true speed. A sat nav will give you a much more accurate reading.

cable guy

Rookie
Now god forbid,and im not saying i have done this.The last cavalier i had,had the mileage clocked and if you catch the needle this can alter the speed indication.Mine would register about the same difference.However i must agree with the answer about the wheels.this can definitely affect the speedo if you put bigger or smaller wheels on the car!

Jason C

Rookie
The most common reason for speedo error is that the wheel's on the car have been changed from the factory standard wheel. For example if a car has standard 14" wheel's and these are changed to 16" wheel's there will be a difference of between 10 and 20% on the speedo. There is only two ways to cure this, first take of the larger wheels and replace them with standard wheels or try to source an upgraded plastic drive gear for the speedo drive from the gear box.
Ja.

jim h

The only was the speedometer can be off is if it has the wrong tires on it. put the right tires on it. Well not the only way I guess but most likely. Check and see.