What Octane Rating fuel (91 or 95) should I use for my 1998 Chevrolet Malibu?

kamalpasha

some mechanics say a lower octane rating fuel (91) may decrease performance or harm the vehicle's engine; others say for an old car 91 octane rating will do no harm and it is cheaper too.

leecavcu

For a Malibu, you should be using the low octane (regular) fuel. Mechanics fix cars. They rarely know the engineering behind them. Different fuel won't do anything for performance. That is a myth. It won't even help gas mileage. Cars with high compression ratios need a higher octane gas or else the fuel will detonate in the engine prematurely and you will get knock (sounds like marbles in your engine). Sometimes carbon build up can cause knock in older cars so a step up in octane may prevent knock. I would use low octane gas. If you hear your engine kocking, go a step higher in octane level.

I use the lowest at the pump on my 94 Grand Prix and my 03 Impala. I get about 30MPG on both at about 75~80 MPH. Both runs by factory specs and never gave me any trouble. The Grand Prix has over 160,000 and the Impala just rolled 80,000 miles.

I use the lowest at the pump on my 94 Grand Prix and my 03 Impala. I get about 30MPG on both at about 75~80 MPH. Both runs by factory specs and never gave me any trouble. The Grand Prix has over 160,000 and the Impala just rolled 80,000 miles.

The s0lution to fuel/rough running problems is to avoid buying gas with ethanol at all costs. Ethanol has caused far more problems than poor gas mileage. Find gas stations that take a stand against ethanol and your cars, lawn mowers, chainsaws, boats, etc. Will thank you.

Use the lowest octane you can find... that is what the car calls for. Anything higher is just a waste of your money.You should use what the owners manual says.

well to bypass buying gas with ethanol at all costs. Ethanol has initiated far more difficulties than poor gas mileage. Find gas positions that take a stand contrary to ethanol and your cars

jenifer0205

hi, welcome to this site
here u can find everything
i suggest u to get help from some expert
or your friend .now i am not able to answer u.