When was the first dirt bike invented?

the first all dirt only bikes were made in the late 40's to early 50's. Before that they used modified street bikes for early motocross competition and hare scrambles. I think that the earliest form of off road racing on a motorcycle was in the 1920's....

barry m

Rookie
Sigfried Bettmann of Coventry, England -- the company name was Triumph Motorcycles..the year: 1914

No one person invented the dirt bike. People began to modify their bikes to ride in the dirt, starting with knobby tires and better suspensions, changing gearing/sprockets, frames, doing everything possible to lighten and strengthen them, getting rid of parts not needed in dirt riding (lites, horn, etc.).

The Motocross of Nations race was created in 1947

A

aeros_hawkeye

im not too sure when their were invented, but i know the model we see nowadays was made around the 50's, but dirt biking/ moto cross started to get big back in the mid 1920's in britain, they called it "Scrambles"

A

aeros_hawkeye

im not too sure when their were invented, but i know the model we see nowadays was made around the 50's, but dirt biking/ moto cross started to get big back in the mid 1920's in britain, they called it "Scrambles"