why does pontiac make a car that is unaffordable to fix? alternator for a 2000

Not Sure K

montana outrageous? i have a pontiac montana that no one wants to touch because the alternator is in a bad place.. Not to mention the price for the alternator runs from 300.00 to 95.00 so do I get my car fixed or do I feed my kids???? I will never buy a pontiac again!!

Firebird

Rookie
That's nothing. I had heard for years that the OHC Grand Prix's required you to separate body from frame to replace the alterator. So I replaced one to just find out. It's totally true. That's the dumbest thing I ever saw.

That was also an expensive alternator, and they had built it especially poorly so they could put it in that clever location, too.

I don't know why any company would approve such a thing, but we are talking about GM. They sunk $200 billion into debt, and they used that money to fuel absolutely no growth in market share, production, earnings, nothing. The only difference in GM today and GM in the 1970's is that they're less profitable and they're $200 billion in debt.

paul h

Rookie
http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/
Try some other shops..this site may have some near you--just plug in your zip code. There's always tricks to replacing some alternators and look for a good quality rebuilt one or have yours rebuilt....may be cheaper. I worked at Pontiac dealers for many years and saw a few bonehead engineering mistakes in repairing cars but other brands have them too. Older Chevy Monza's with a V-8 required you to jack up the engine to change spark plugs.

morgan o

You need to find a shop that not going to rip you off that alt sells for about 145.00 rebuilt and 196.00 new. If you take your time anyone can r&r it in about 2 hours.