Wierd Subaru 2.2L Engine Sound?

Tony

Rookie
I own a 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport (manual) with a 2.2L H4 engine (142hp @ 5600rpms). Whenever I get the engine speed up to 3000rpms it makes a strange sound before 3000 and after 3000 and then continues to go up to about 5000 until it starts to make the sound again.

I wish I had some audio of it that I could share but this will have to do. It sounds like something is grinding sort of and its kind of a low pitched rumble with a screatch! It isn't really that loud however and sometimes I don't even hear it if the engine's warmed up.

The engine works fine and I get quite a bit of power up to about 5000rpms which is OK since it is an old car, it just scares the shit out of me sometimes because I think somethings wrong with it! I usually shift about 2500rpms while driving, so is it possibly just the engine reacting to me abusing it?

Also it just started doing it this winter and I think it might be the cold weather causing it but I just want to make sure. Its been about -10c

C

coco_nut909

Is it doing it when you shift? when was the last time you got the car maintienanced? From what you are saying it could be a number of things somthing loose, a bearing, the screatch could be a bad fan belt, if its a turboed the bearings could be bad, or your pistions could be fried and fucking up your cylinders, my recommendation is too take it too a subaru dealer and have them inspect it will cost about 70 bucks but if you can do the work yourself its worth it