Chrysler Group LLC reported U.S. sales of 99,611, a 7 percent increase compared with sales in August 2009 (93,222 units). August represents the fifth consecutive month of year-over-year sales increases. August sales also were up 7 percent over sales in July. Chrysler Group is the only major auto manufacturer to post a year-over-year sales increase in August.
“Chrysler Group is proud that we have beaten or matched the average industry sales increase for the fifth consecutive month this year and for the calendar year to date,” said Fred Diaz, President and Chief Executive Officer – Ram Truck Brand and Lead Executive for U.S. Sales. “This is proof positive that we are accomplishing our goals – steady, sustainable growth. We will continue to build on this momentum as we begin production on a stream of new product through the end of this year.”
Chrysler Group in August began building the new Wrangler in Toledo, and released the first photos of the all-new 2011 Dodge Durango SUV. Both Wrangler and Durango are part of the 16 all new or significantly refreshed vehicles that Chrysler Group is launching this year, representing 75 percent of its vehicle lineup.
Chrysler Group finished the month with a 50-day supply of inventory (197,987 units). U.S. industry sales figures for August are projected at an estimated 11.5 SAAR.
August 2010 U.S. Sales Highlights by Brand
The Jeep Brand posted a 17 percent year-over-year increase in August. The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee contributed to the increase as its August sales more than doubled sales in July. The iconic Jeep Wrangler, the brand’s volume leader, increased year-over-year sales 37 percent. Building on that momentum, the 2011 Jeep Wrangler boasts an all-new interior that delivers a host of comfort, convenience and versatility features. In addition, Sahara models now feature an all-new body-color hard top for customers looking for a Jeep Wrangler with a more premium appearance. Production of the 2011 Wranglers began in mid August at the Toledo Assembly Complex in Toledo, Ohio and will arrive in dealerships in greater volume this month. Jeep Liberty, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot had a strong August as each model had double-digit percentage sales increases.
Ram Truck Brand
Ram Truck Brand posted a 5 percent sales increase in August, compared with the same month in 2009. Ram pickup truck sales increased 8 percent in August, with Quad Cab and Crew Cab the most popular choices. Ram Heavy Duty – Motor Trend’s 2010 Truck of the Year – continues to appeal to consumers and business customers. Ram Heavy Duty sales were up 48 percent in August, with the Crew Cab and Quad Cab models leading sales. Dodge Dakota sales were up 55 percent in August. The Ram Truck Brand introduced in August the Ram Outdoorsman, a new feature package designed for North American outdoor enthusiasts. Ram Outdoorsman takes all of the features most useful to hunters, fishermen, campers and boaters, and packages them into one model. The Outdoorsman combines convenience, off-road capability and trailer towing hardware in one package with a name that will resonate among its intended users.
Dodge Brand posted a 8 percent sales increase in August, compared with the same month in 2009. Six of eight Dodge models posted sales increases in August. Dodge Challenger sales were up 190 percent, compared with the same month in 2009. Challenger got a boost from its first win Aug. 14 in NASCAR Nationwide Series racing at Michigan International Speedway. Dodge Challenger returned to NASCAR competition in July after more than a 30-year absence. The Dodge Caliber and Dodge Avenger each posted double-digit percentage sales increases in August. Dodge Nitro’s three new lifestyle models – Detonator, Heat and Shock – continued to resonate with customers as Nitro sales increased 66 percent in August. Dodge in August revealed teaser images that highlight design characteristics of its forthcoming 2011 Dodge Durango SUV. Look for more of this all-new, three-row performance SUV in the coming weeks. Dodge also introduced its all-new 2011 Dodge Charger Pursuit high-performance police vehicle, which can be ordered this month through Chrysler Group’s fleet operations.
Chrysler Town & Country posted a sales increase of 26 percent in August. The brand’s volume leader, Town & Country has posted year-over-year sales increases in each month this year. Chrysler Group hit a significant milestone during August. The company that invented the minivan 27 years ago sold its 13 millionth minivan worldwide. The very first minivan rolled off the line at Windsor Assembly Plant in Windsor, Ontario, on Nov. 2, 1983. The current platform is the fifth generation, and is sold in more than 80 countries worldwide. Combined, Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan remain the leaders in the segment. Chrysler Sebring sedan and convertible sales were up a combined 79 percent, versus the same month last year.
August U.S. Sales Highlights
- Jeep Brand sales (25,706 units) increased 17 percent versus the same month last year (22,041 units)
- New 2011Jeep Grand Cherokee sales more than doubled compared with July sales
- Jeep Wrangler sales (7,666 units) improved 37 percent versus August 2009 (5,613 units)
- Jeep Liberty sales (5,247 units) increased 56 percent compared with August last year (3,359 units)
- Jeep Compass sales (1,909 units) improved 34 percent versus August 2009 (1,426 units)
- Jeep Patriot sales (4,143 units) increased 57 percent compared with August 2009 (2,637 units)
- Dodge Brand sales (35,364 units) increased 8 percent versus the same month last year (32,878 units).
- Dodge Challenger sales (3,283 units) improved 190 percent compared with August 2009 (1,132 units), setting a new monthly record
- Dodge Caliber sales (5,347units) increased 32 percent versus August 2009 (4,039 units)
- Dodge Avenger sales (4,582 units) improved 11 percent compared with the same month last year (4,118 units)
- Dodge Nitro sales (2,505 units) improved 66 percent versus August 2009 (1,510 units)
- Chrysler Sebring (sedan and convertible) sales (4,498 units) were up 79 percent versus August 2009 (2,514 units)
- Chrysler Town & Country minivan sales (9,472 units) improved 26 percent compared with August 2009 (7,530 units)
- Ram Truck Brand sales (20,604 units) increased 5 percent versus the same month last year (19,684 units)
- Ram pickup truck sales (18,995 units) increased 8 percent in August, compared with August 2009 (17,514 units)
- Ram Heavy Duty pickup truck sales increased 48 percent versus August 2009
- Dodge Dakota sales (1,583 units) were up 55 percent compared with the same month last year (1,022 units)
Related Topic Tags
- aug 2010, august 2010, august auto sales, Auto Sales, car sales, Chrysler, chrysler sales, Dodge, dodge sales, Jeep, jeep sales, us auto sales
Discuss this and other Auto news in our Car Forums
- want to buy Audi R8
- Buying a Used Car tips
- Audi A1or the Mini?
- 55 Buick on Car Restoration TV Show
- 2013 Audi A3
- 2013 Audi R8
- Requires the help of locksmith
- Ford's new Mondeo
- Coming out of Asia and Conquering the World
- New Nissan Versa
- Do you agree that Nissan is a lucky car company?
- Nissan starting problem
- Nissan Juke Midnight Special release
- Which car is most stylish: Mercedes C-class, BMW 3 series, Saab sport sedan,...
- where to buy cheap car gps online?